Steve’s BBQ Sauce
There are so many kinds of barbecue sauce available, so why make your own? Because it’s awesome. Debate rages between devotees of different styles. I developed this recipe because I like the balance of vinegar to tomato with the sweet onion undertones and a touch of heat. Enjoy!
Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T olive oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- One 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 6 oz. ketchup – use empty tomato paste can to measure
- In a small sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion and garlic in the oil with a pinch of salt until it starts to brown.
- Add vinegar to pan and stir to deglaze for about 10 seconds.
- Transfer to blender and puree. Set pan aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to blender and blend well.
- Return sauce to pan and simmer for 30 minutes.